Poster Presentation First Malaria World Congress 2018

The pattern of malaria transmission in the coastal ecosystem (case study Nongsa Batam Village, Batam City, Kepulauan Riau Province)  (#384)

Dewi Susanna 1 , Umar Fahmi Achmadi 1
  1. Department of Environmental Health, Faculty of Public Health, Universitas Indonesia, Depok, JAWA BARAT, Indonesia

The coastal ecosystem is put into notice due to malaria. The objective of this study was to identify the dynamics of malaria transmission in the coastal ecosystem, and also to identify the factors that influence malaria transmission. The study design was the combination (mixed design) of ecological correlation (multi-group design) and time series (time trend design). Data collecting was conducted quantitatively, through cross-sectional for Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice (KAP) survey, spot survey for entomology, and terrestrial mapping. The suspected found by asking the closer The survey consisted of survey of adult mosquitoes, types of mosquitoes and larva density. people with cases, they could be a member of the family and or their neighbour. Larva collecting was performed in the daytime using field-standardized dip. The analysis conducted was the qualitative analysis of anopheles larva existence (positive), breeding site salinity, and distance location of malaria case from the breeding site. The malaria transmissions did not occur indigenously. The number of malaria case discovered during July through October.   Malaria case was highly discovered on August, while the lowest was on July. The malaria case is dominantly located 200-400 meters from the location of the breeding site. The mosquitoes collected and suspected as vector of malaria was Anopheles sundaicus (99.77%), and the rest was Anopheles sinensis (0.23%). There were two types breeding sites: ponds from used-sand mining sites which were filled with precipitation water, even though the intensity was not constant, and the ponds from used-sand mining sites which were filled with sea water during tidal condition. The results derived from the field survey indicated that during the period of August, the salinity of mosquito breeding sites in the 16.67%. Malaria transmission can infect humans both inside and outside the house, especially to those who were not well protected.